Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when
technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route
fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver
the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data
to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing
experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security
and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to
further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com,
LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook:
/lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube:
Lumen’s internship program is a 10 week, fast-paced and exciting
opportunity to gain professional experience within your field of
study and career interest. Interns within the North American
Operations organization will be part of an accelerated learning
experience, to challenge skills learned in the classroom and
develop new skills while working on active Lumen work projects.
Network DevOps interns will have the opportunity to work closely
with the Network Transformation organization both individually
and in collaborative teams to design, develop, and deliver
various application tools and scripts for clients throughout the
Lumen organization. The internship will take place in Tempe, AZ
from 6/1/2021 - 8/13/2021.
In addition, interns will connect to our company culture through
community outreach projects, engaging with our employee resource
groups and developing their professional skills and business acumen
through exposure to senior leadership, cutting-edge technology,
groundbreaking projects, and a network of mentors and fellow
interns. Launch your career with Lumen and be a part of something
- Work in a Network Operations environment amongst network
engineers with a goal of optimizing troubleshooting procedures and
expanding technician capabilities via automation and tools.
- Prepare and deploy network configuration changes to support
audits and other projects promoting network cleanliness.
- Effectively manage and deliver multiple projects to
- Communicate with all stakeholders throughout a project to gain
clarification of requirements, provide project status, identify
gaps, identify issues, discuss schedules.
- Effectively estimate the time it will take for themselves and
others to perform tasks and are able to influence the team's work
to be completed within those timeframes.
- Support existing applications and procedures.
- Write documentation to support applications and processes.
- Preference for Cumulative GPA: 3.0 or higher
- Enrolled at a 4-year accredited college or
- Graduating between August 2021 – May
- Education/Degree: In pursuit of bachelor’s
or master’s in computer science or IT related degree program
- Intern is responsible for their travel
to/from work location
- Must be available to work 30 – 40 hours,
during the specified 10-week timeframe
- Hands-on development experience with backend
languages like Java and/or Python and databases such as
SQL/MongoDB/Oracle. Experience with NodeJS is desirable.
- Familiarity with web technologies such as
- Experience working in Windows and Unix
environments, including file structures, grep, and basic shell
- Understanding of XML, JSON, and data
- Familiarity with Agile methodology of
development and user of Git (or similar) for version control.
- Knowledge of L2/L3 networking protocols such
as MPLS, BGP, 802.1q, and TCP/IP are beneficial.
- Continuous improvement mindset and the
ability to analyze business processes to identify process
improvements and optimization.
Requisition #: 232992
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to
all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship,
national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic
characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other
legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”).
We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment
decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion,
benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to
indicate the general nature and level of work performed by
employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain
or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned
to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to
change based on changing business needs and conditions.