Chair, Department of Psychology
Company: AGB Search
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Arizona State University, a leading public research university
that is rated first in the U.S. for innovation, seeks a dynamic,
forward-looking chair for the Department of Psychology, with a
concurrent appointment as a tenured Professor. The anticipated
start date for this position is July 1, 2023. ASU is a dynamic,
internationally-recognized institution dedicated to
interdisciplinary collaborations, rethinking university education,
and integrating excellence in research, teaching, and service.
Guided by its mission of inclusivity, ASU serves more than 150,000
students on five campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area, one of
the fastest growing urban centers in the nation, and globally
through ASU Online.The new chair of the Department of Psychology
will lead a large, complex, and strong unit that is undergoing
significant growth. The Department is home to 52
tenured/tenure-track faculty, 14 instructional faculty, 8 research
faculty, and 24 core staff, along with research staff, postdocs and
doctoral teaching and research assistants. They work to educate
3100 undergraduate majors in Psychology and Neuroscience and over
150 graduate students, delivering courses that fill 19,000 seats
annually. Faculty are grouped into six areas: Behavioral
Neuroscience and Comparative Psychology, Clinical Psychology,
Cognitive Science, Developmental Psychology, Quantitative
Psychology, and Social Psychology. Community engagement is an
important component of the Department's mission with initiatives
such as the Clinical Psychology Center, Child Study Lab, REACH
Institute, and Psych for Life.Reporting to the Dean of Natural
Sciences within The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the new
Chair will be a respected leader who is passionate about creatively
advancing access and excellence in both education and research;
someone with the capacity to engage faculty across the breadth of
areas within the department while sustaining a culture of
collaboration within and beyond the school. The new chair will be
an inclusive relationship builder who will lead the department and
its energetic and engaged community of educator-scholars into the
future by strategically identifying and fostering areas for
additional growth, innovation, and partnership. The new chair will
be dedicated to supporting ASU's charter, the success of our
diverse student population, and the health of ASU's broader
- An earned doctorate in psychology or a related field.
- A record of distinguished scholarly research, teaching,
service, and professional accomplishments that merits appointment
at ASU as a full professor with tenure.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to supporting and enhancing
diversity, equity, and inclusion.Desired Qualifications
- Demonstrated commitment to lead with integrity, honesty, and
- Evidence of problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of effective communication/active listening
- Experience envisioning and implementing strategic plans.
- Evidence of fundraising experience.
- Evidence of entrepreneurial approach, including commitment to
establishing/nourishing partnerships within and outside ASU.
- Administrative leadership experience in a higher education
- Experience managing people, undergraduate and graduate
programs, and budgets.
- Outstanding research experience, including evidence of research
funding, and scholarly achievement in one of the areas represented
in the department.
- Demonstrated support for innovative teaching practices.
- Demonstrated success in supporting and enhancing diversity,
equity, and inclusion among faculty, staff, and students.
- Experience teaching diverse student populations.
- Experience recruiting, retaining, and supporting/protecting
diverse faculty and staff.Nominations and ApplicationsThe College
values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually
strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are
especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the
diversity of the academic community. Salary and start-up funding
will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications.For best
consideration submit application materials by November 2, 2022.
-Review of applications will begin on November 2, 2022. If not
filled, applications will be evaluated every week thereafter until
the search is closed.To apply -candidates are requested to submit:
- A letter of interest that addresses the leadership
opportunities in the profile;
- A -statement that addresses how past and/or potential
contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance the
Department of Psychology's and ASU's commitment to inclusive
- Contact information for four references (to be contacted with
candidate's permission at a later date).A background check is
required for employment.For inquiries and nominations please
contact:You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the
ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.COVID-19 Vaccination -
Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to
federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a
COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious
accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and
Keywords: AGB Search, Tempe , Chair, Department of Psychology, Healthcare , Tempe, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!