Staff Packaging Engineer
Posted on: November 22, 2021
About StrykerStryker is one of the world's leading medical
technology companies and, together with our customers, is driven to
make healthcare better. We offer innovative products and services
in Orthopaedics, Medical and Surgical, and Neurotechnology and
Spine that help improve patient and hospital outcomes.We are proud
to be named the #5 World's Best Workplaces and a Best Workplace for
Diversity by Fortune Magazine. Learn more about our award-winning
organization by visiting stryker.comWhy engineering at Stryker?At
Stryker we are dedicated to improving lives, with a passion for
researching and developing new medical device products. As an
engineer at Stryker, you will be proud of the work that you will be
doing, using cutting-edge technologies to make healthcare better.
Here, you will work in a supportive culture with other incredibly
talented and intelligent people, creating industry-leading medical
technology products. You will also have growth opportunities as we
have a culture that supports your personal and professional
development.Need another reason to apply? Check out these 8 reasons
to join Stryker's engineering team:
SUMMARY:The Staff Packaging Engineer is responsible for designing
and implementing new or revised packaging and labeling for medical
devices by recommending QA Control limits and procedures, and by
developing and issuing detailed specifications for procurement of
packaging components. This position enforces structural
specifications and integrity of packaging devices in accordance
with quality standards, develops compatible protective packaging
for devices, originates and develops new packaging concepts,
assesses and resolves packaging problems, and directs vendor design
and development.What you will do:Technical Responsibilities:
- Independently research, design, develop, modify, and verify
components, modules, and sub-systems for medical device packaging
- Translate user needs to design inputs/specifications and
produce complex system level designs with some guidance.
- Conduct or design advanced prototyping and testing.
- Analyze and correct complex product design issues using
- Lead efforts with other departments to gather and incorporate
customer inputs on packaging design.
- Identify, plan, and request capital costs associated with
- Interpret standards and FDA requirements for device packaging
- Interpret and applies sterilization requirements/standards to
packaging design and validation.
- Establish test protocols driven by national and international
standards and regulatory requirements.
- Direct and facilitates the testing of new products to verify
- Operate various test equipment, interpret test data, and report
results for each validation/verification. Occasionally delegate
testing to technicians as appropriate.
- Make decisions based on justifiable and logical reasoning for
packaging design, validations, and incoming non-conforming
packaging material in MRB (Material Review Board)
- Work cooperatively with process development, quality,
manufacturing, regulatory and marketing to ensure project
- Research & acquire production material and equipment related to
- Train production operators on new processes and
- Coordinate documentation of work instructions for new packaging
- Create material/equipment specifications.
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively through good
organizational skills and effective use of problem solving
- Ability to work independently as well as on teams to perform
root cause analysis and provide solutions to the root cause.
- Coordinate projects related to packaging configurations between
- Identify and champion opportunities to promote sustainable
- Provide direction for platform-level packaging solutions.
- Act as mentor and project lead to other packaging engineers,
and trains others on functionally-related topics.Business
- Advance solutions by applying in-depth knowledge of customer
needs, market, and competitive offerings.
- Apply detailed knowledge of clinical procedures to author
- Support Voice of Customer sessions internally and with
- Demonstrate developing financial acumen.Med Device Compliance:
- Have experience in a highly regulated industry and be
proficient with and mentor others in usage of industry standards,
including design requirements and test strategies per applicable
- Lead creation and refinement of packaging-related engineering
documentation for inclusion in the Design History file.
- Follow and mentor others on R&D procedures like design
controls and risk management, per the Quality Management
- Be familiar with regulatory audits and comfortable interacting
with audit personnelGeneral Responsibilities:
- Work cooperatively with R&D, Quality, Manufacturing,
Regulatory, Clinical, Marketing and Project Management to ensure
- Identify and support the creation of or improvements to
procedures, policies, processes, systems, and technology.
- Support and execute segments of complex multifunctional teams
to advance projects through the design /development/launch
- Deliver high quality results with passion, energy and drive to
meet business priorities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to build partnership to
achieve business objectives.What you will need (strongly
- Adept at applying knowledge of materials and manufacturing
processes to product design.
- Ability to communicate moderate complexity plans and technical
information to team members.
- Demonstrated experience with product packaging design,
development, and/or validation is required, preferably in the
Medical Device industry.Preferred Skills / Engineering tools:
- Working knowledge of CAD tools (e.g. SolidWorks).
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to plan/prioritize
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to
present issues, plans and objectives.
- Ability to work in fast-paced organization, meeting multiple
deadlines and succeeding under pressure is a must.
- Motivated, resourceful, ambitious, enthusiastic and attentive
to detail.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: What you will need (must have):
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Packaging Engineering,
Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering
- 4+ years of related work experienceOur benefitsOur total
rewards offering varies by country but often includes bonuses;
commissions; healthcare; insurance benefits; retirement programs;
stock based plans; paid time off plans; family and parenting
leaves; tuition reimbursement; wellness programs; onsite fitness
centers and cafeterias; discount purchase programs; and service and
performance awards - not to mention various social and recreational
activities.Know someone at Stryker?Be sure to have them submit you
as a referral prior to applying for this position. Learn more about
our employee referral program at
Keywords: Stryker, Tempe , Staff Packaging Engineer, Engineering , Tempe, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!